Gluten Free Hazelnut Chocolate Cake
This light, yet luscious cake substitutes protein-rich ground hazelnuts for traditional wheat flour, yielding a delicious option for guests on gluten-restricted diets.
- 80 grams finely ground hazelnuts or hazelnut flour
- 3 tablespoons coarsely ground hazelnuts
- 125 grams dark chocolate + 5 grams for decoration, optional
- 60 grams butter
- 120 grams sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico or Amaretto liquor
- 3 whole skinless hazelnuts, to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 155ºC / 310ºF.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bain-marie.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar until a cream forms. Add the hazelnut flour, cornstarch and the mix of chocolate, butter, and Amaretto. Mix well.
- Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt. Fold them into the chocolate mixture.
- Using a small amount of butter on a paper towel, grease the pan until all surfaces are coated.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of flour over the pan bottom, sides and corners until all are covered with a thin layer of flour. Turn pan upside down over an appropriate surface, and lightly tap to remove extra flour.
- Cook in pre-heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes before unmolding. Sprinkle with coarsely ground hazelnuts.