With the holiday season coming up, I thought I show you how to Candy Walnuts. The walnut halves are coated in a sweet simple syrup to keep the walnut color and baked to crispy and crunchy perfection. However, you can add flavorings to the syrup.
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup water
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 ounces walnuts, whole kernels or halves
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer a minute to 2 minutes or till the sugar has dissolved. Season with salt and pepper.
- Steep the walnuts in the syrup for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Drain the nuts and place on a baking sheet and bake 35 minutes.
- Let cool and store airtight.