Tomato Vegetable Julienne Salad
A perfect salad to help you practice your knife skills such as slicing, julienne cutting, and chopping. It's also a good exercise in vinaigrette making with two different classic dressings.
- 8 medium ripe tomatoes
- 3 small shallots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium green onions, finely sliced
FOR THE JULIENNE SALAD
- 0.5 cup fine julienne carrot
- 0.5 cup fine julienne cucumber
- 0.5 cup fine julienne red bell pepper
- 0.5 cup fine julienne yellow bell pepper
- 0.5 cup fine julienne celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the vinaigrette: In a non-reactive bowl, whisk in the ingredients in the listed order. Taste and rectify seasoning if necessary, and reserve.
- Make the julienne salad: The ideal size would be 5 centimeters long and 2 millimeters square, for all vegetables. Mix in a bowl and season with cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate: Wash and core the tomato. Split the tomato in half going through the core. Slice the tomato in thin and regular slices. Plate the tomato slices in a large circle, one at the time, by overlapping. Brush the tomato with vinaigrette and garnish with shallots and green onions. Garnish the center with seasoned vegetable julienne and serve.