Sweet and Sour Caramelized Onions
Sweet and Sour Caramelized Onions are a delicious garnish to accompany delicate appetizers. The balance between the sweet and sour flavors in this recipe is just great; you will love it!
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Peel and cut the onions into very thin half slices.
- Melt butter, add onions and cook on high heat with salt and pepper. When the onions are soft, add sugar and frequently stir until they become golden brown.
- Deglaze with the vinegar, and cook for five more minutes. Taste and rectify the seasoning if desired. Strain the onions if too much moisture present.
- Cool and reserve.