Orange and Pink Grapefruit Salad with Basil Chiffonade
A simple and refreshing citrus salad, which allows you to practice making fruit segments, simple syrup, and Chiffonade.
FOR THE FRUITS:
- 4 large oranges, cut into segments
- 4 medium pink grapefruit, cut into segments
- 4 large basil leaves, cut into Chiffonade
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, then stir until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
- To remove grapefruit and orange segments from the fruit, cut away all the peel and white pith with a small sharp knife. Hold the fruit over a bowl and, with the knife, cut along each membrane to free the citrus segments, allowing the juice to drip into the bowl.
- Pour cold syrup over fruits segments, add basil Chiffonade and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes. Serve in glass cups.