Green Asparagus Cream Soup and Grilled Almonds
The great flavor of the asparagus makes this soup very delicate and elegant. The crunchy texture of the almonds is also a nice touch.
- 1.5 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 0.5 pound fresh spinach
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Preparing the soup: Cut off and discard tough asparagus bottoms. Cut off tips, approx.1 inch, and set aside. Coarsely chop stalks. In a skillet over medium heat melt butter and sweat onion for 5 to 8 minutes. Salt lightly when onions are clear, and add asparagus stumps. Keep stirring over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes. Add potatoes. Slowly add chicken stock, stirring constantly. Cook for 40 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Making the spinach mousse: In a blender, puree raw washed spinach and cold water until smooth. Keep in cooler.
- Preparing garnishes: Blanch asparagus tips in boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Refresh tips in an ice bath to keep them green. Roast almonds at 400°F for a few minutes until lightly golden brown. Let almonds cool down and reserve.
- Finish the soup: When the soup is cooked, process in a blender until thoroughly smooth. Strain through a sieve using a whisk to push the soup through. Return the soup to low heat. Add the cup of cream. Add salt and pepper, according to taste.
- At the last minute: Whisk in a few tablespoons of spinach mousse in the soup to get it brightly green. Heat gently but don't boil. Garnish with asparagus tips, sour cream and toasted almonds.