Chicken Noodle Soup
This chicken noodle soup is the perfect winter soup. I personally always have some in the freezer because I love it. This is a comfort food suitable for any time of the year, but especially during cold winter months and when you are ill.
- A roasting chicken drumsticks and thighs removed
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 4 onions, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 celery ribs, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 ounce, s green beans, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- The zest and juice of a lemon
- 0.25 pound of pasta noodles
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the chicken carcass, thighs and drumsticks into a large soup pot. Add the carrots, onions, celery, garlic, bay leaves and thyme and cover completely with cold water. Bring to a simmer and simmer gently for two hours. Skim off the broth of any impurities. Remove the chicken from the pot allow to cool the broth and reserve the chicken.
- Once the meat has cooled, pick it from the bones and return it to the pot with the broth. Bring the broth back to a simmer and add the green beans, corn, peas, lemon zest and juice. Simmer for a few minutes, and then add noodles and cook just until they have softened. Adjust seasoning, add the parsley and serve hot.